NEWTON, Mass., Aug. 21, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- TripAdvisor®, the world's largest travel site*, today announced the results of its annual Labor Day and fall travel survey of more than 1,200 U.S. respondents, revealing 33 percent of consumers are planning Labor Day trips, a six percent jump compared to last year's holiday weekend (27 percent). What's more, consumers are also packing to go on their autumn getaways soon, with 86 percent planning fall travel in 2013 – nearly equal to 85 percent that planned to travel last year.
To view the multimedia assets associated with this release, please click http://www.multivu.com/mnr/57964-tripadvisor-survey-86-percent-us-travelers-planning-autumn-getaways
- Driving is the most popular mode of transportation (63 percent) this Labor Day, while 30 percent will take to the skies.
- Of those traveling for the holiday weekend, 42 percent plan to visit family and friends. Twenty-five percent are trekking to the great outdoors, 24 percent will make a beeline for the ocean, and 20 percent will go on a city escape.
- New York City is the most popular destination among those traveling for Labor Day this year, followed by Denver, Seattle, Philadelphia and Boston.
- More than one-quarter (27 percent) of respondents will take three or more trips this fall.
- 56 percent of fall travelers will take a vacation lasting a week or longer.
- 52 percent book their fall vacation three or more months in advance.
- 43 percent of travelers will enjoy a romantic getaway with a loved one this fall and 38 percent will travel with family.
- 42 percent are planning to visit a repeat destination, while 20 percent will venture out to discover a new locale.
- 42 percent of fall leisure travelers will enjoy a city trip and 34 percent plan to head to the beach.
- 74 percent are planning a hotel stay, 28 percent will stay with family and friends and 22 percent will rent a vacation rental home.
- View colorful fall foliage – 44%
- Go wine tasting / visit a vineyard – 29%
- Go to a food festival – 22%
- Attend a football game / collegiate homecoming – 18%
- Go to a state / county fair or fall festival – 18%
- When it comes to fall treats, pumpkin pie is a favorite for 18 percent of respondents, while 14 percent will opt for a slice of apple pie.
- Apple cider is the fall beverage of choice (29 percent) followed by hot chocolate (11 percent).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV