Office Depot, Inc. (NYSE: ODP), a leading global provider of office supplies and services, today announced that the Company and its largest shareholder, Starboard Value LP (together with its affiliates, "Starboard"), have reached a settlement agreement ahead of the Company’s upcoming Annual Meeting of Shareholders on August 21, 2013. As part of the settlement agreement, Starboard nominees Cynthia Jamison, Jeffrey Smith, and Joseph Vassalluzzo have agreed to join the Office Depot Board and will be appointed to the Board upon the resignations of Directors Marsha J. Evans and W. Scott Hedrick the day after the Company’s annual meeting.
Office Depot will expand the Board from ten to eleven directors to accommodate the additional director. Following the appointment of the new directors, the Board will select a new non-executive lead director. In addition, upon his appointment to the Board, Mr. Vassalluzzo will join the CEO Selection Committee in the search process for the CEO of the combined company. He will replace Ms. Evans. If the merger with OfficeMax is completed, Office Depot will include both Mr. Smith and Mr. Vassalluzzo as continuing directors.
Starboard has agreed to withdraw its proxy solicitation and has committed to vote the White proxy card in support of Office Depot’s director nominees. Any shareholders who have already voted the Starboard Gold proxy card and who wish to have their votes counted in the election may submit a later-dated vote on the WHITE proxy card.
“We are very pleased to have reached an agreement with Starboard which we believe is in the best interests of all our shareholders,” said Neil Austrian, Chairman and CEO of Office Depot. “The resolution will allow us to continue our progress and momentum in our proposed merger with OfficeMax. Integration planning and the CEO search are already well underway and the merger is on track to close on or before year-end.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV