By Richard Collings
NEW YORK ( The Deal) -- As Barnes & Noble (BKS) was seemingly stymied in its comeback attempts -- after Chairman Leonard Riggio said Tuesday he was putting a possible takeover bid for the company he founded back on the shelf alongside dismal fiscal first-quarter results -- a way out of its bricks-and-mortar quandary might be found by looking north.
Canada's largest bookstore chain, Indigo Books & Music, was once in a similar situation, according to Hilco Organization's SD Retail Consulting President Antony Karabus. Like Barnes & Noble's Nook e-reader, Indigo had tried to go up against the big boys in the field -- Amazon (AMZN) and Apple (AAPL) -- only to have development costs for its e-reader business, Kobo, drain the company's cash.
But when Indigo sold Kobo to Tokyo-based Rakuten for $315 million in November 2011, it gave the company a cash infusion, which it used to transform from primarily a bookseller to more of a lifestyle retailer, selling in complementary categories such as home accents and children's learning, Karabus said.And Rakuten got a win from the deal because the Japanese online retailer could take the Kobo e-reader international and compete in less-saturated markets overseas. The Nook, similarly, could benefit by also being introduced into new markets, rather than focusing all its marketing efforts on the intensely competitive U.S., where it is going up against Amazon's Kindle and Apple's iPad, Karabus said. Right now, all that Nook signifies for Barnes & Noble is an "albatross," as Janney Capital Markets analyst David Strasser put it in a research note Tuesday. "NOOK continues to be a drag on the company, with a sales decline of 20% and adjusted
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV