Why You May Want to Bury Your Money in the Backyard
By Hal M. Bundrick
NEW YORK ( MainStreet)--It's getting to the point where wealthy investors might just start burying their money in the backyard. A Spectrem study of households with annual incomes of $750,000 or more says the richest segment of investors is getting very cautious.
A vast majority of the affluent money makers (70%) say they plan to put money into savings accounts over the next year. That's right, savings accounts. Nearly half (48%) report they will be investing in money market funds. Give them a towel and a cup of Gatorade; they're out of the game and on the sidelines.
And forget fixed income. Only one-quarter of these well-heeled households are planning on buying individual bonds or bond mutual funds. And the only international exposure they're looking to get will be from a tan on the beach in Sanya. Just 26% say they will consider overseas investments of any type, including stocks and mutual funds.Sorry, Trump -- even real estate was down the list for most of the wealthy investors surveyed, with only 14% saying they would invest in real estate over the next 12 months. Drilling down to alternative investments, hedge funds and private equity firms were of interest to 21% of the affluent respondents.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV