- No bone loss compared to placebo
- Early evidence of improving bone mineral density in Androxal ® subjects
THE WOODLANDS, Texas, Aug. 20, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Repros Therapeutics Inc. ® (Nasdaq:RPRX) today reported interim 6 month results from the first 150 subjects enrolled into the ongoing one year placebo controlled study to assess the impact of Androxal treatment of secondary hypogonadal men and its effect on bone mineral density. There is no evidence of a deleterious effect of Androxal on bone health and some evidence of improved bone mineral density.
Study ZA-303 is a single blind placebo controlled study with an Androxal to placebo ratio of 2:1. Men assigned to Androxal were required to exhibit morning testosterone levels of <300 ng/dL on two consecutive mornings. Men assigned to placebo had to meet all the criteria of age (<60) and BMI (>25) of those men assigned to Androxal with the exception that their testosterone level could be in the normal range.
At the 6 month time point, there is no evidence that Androxal reduces bone mineral density as assessed by DEXA scans. In addition, there is some evidence that Androxal may be beneficial to bone health. Overall, there is a consistent trend in many bone regions where an improvement of bone mineral density in comparison to placebo is observed. Subjects treated with 25 mg of Androxal exhibited a statistically significant increase in total hip bone mineral density compared to placebo (p = 0.0339). However, although one should be encouraged by these positive findings, clinically significant changes in bone mineral density generally require exposures longer than 6 months and early results do not always predict final results.Study ZA-303 also indicates that testosterone may be more influential in maintaining bone health than previously expected. Repros was surprised to find that a relatively high percentage of subjects, 12%, screen failed due to low bone mineral density in this relatively young population (mean age 48).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV