DETROIT, Aug. 20, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- DTE Gas, a subsidiary of DTE Energy Company, is providing pipeline-quality natural gas, which was converted from landfill gas, to its residential customers as part of its commitment to renewable energy.
DTE Gas' BioGreenGas program contributes to the development of that pipeline-quality natural gas at the Sauk Trail Hills landfill in Canton, Mich. Residential natural gas customers can support the company's green efforts by subscribing to the program for $2.50 per month.
DTE Gas is the first utility in Michigan and one of the first in the country to develop such a program for residential customers.
"Our customers are as concerned about the environment as we are," said Mark Stiers, DTE Gas vice president of gas sales and supply. "They have asked us for a renewable energy option on the gas side of the business. BioGreenGas was created in response to our customers' requests."Since the program was launched last year, 2,000 customers have subscribed and dozens more are on the waiting list. DTE Gas is looking into expanding the program to meet the additional demand. The fact the gas comes from a local landfill seems to appeal to customers. "DTE has a commitment to supporting Michigan businesses," said Stiers. "We could buy gas from anywhere, but we chose to locally source our green gas, while helping to improve the environment in our home state. DTE's partnership with Clean Energy Renewable Fuels made it possible for us to offer BioGreenGas." Clean Energy Renewable Fuels (CERF), a division of Clean Energy Fuels, develops U.S. production facilities that generate and sell renewable natural gas. CERF created a state-of-the-art plant to purify the biogas at Sauk Trail Hills landfill.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV