Beloit Mindset List authors introduced the 16 th annual Mindset List today via webcast using Mediasite by Sonic Foundry, Inc. (NASDAQ: SOFO), the trusted leader for video content management and webcasting solutions, giving the world a look at the cultural touchstones that have shaped the lives of this year’s incoming college freshmen.
The webcast is now available at www.sonicfoundry.com/mindsetwebcast.
Each August since 1998, Beloit College has released the Mindset List. Created by Beloit’s Keefer Professor of the Humanities Tom McBride and Emeritus Public Affairs Director Ron Nief, the list originally served as a reminder to faculty to be aware of dated references. However, it quickly became an international touchstone of the rapidly changing worldview of each new college generation. The Mindset List website at www.beloit.edu and the companion Mediasite webcast receive more than 1 million hits annually.
Some of the authors’ favorite facts about the class of 2017, born in 1995, include:
- As they started to crawl, so did the news across the bottom of the television screen.
- Having a chat has seldom involved talking.
- Eminem and LL Cool J could show up at parents’ weekend.
- Gaga has never been baby talk.
- They have known only two presidents.
- They have never attended a concert in a smoke-filled arena.
- The U.S. has always been trying to figure out which side to back in Middle East conflicts.
- A Wiki has always been a cooperative web application rather than a shuttle bus in Hawaii.
- Washington, D.C. tour buses have never been able to drive in front of the White House.
- Their parents’ car CD player is so ancient and embarrassing.
- Jurassic Park has always had rides and snack bars, not free-range triceratops and velociraptors.