Walgreens (NYSE: WAG)(Nasdaq: WAG), Chicago Public Schools (CPS) and the Chicago Department of Public Health (CDPH) are teaming up to help parents of students grades 6-12 meet a new Illinois state requirement for Tdap vaccinations, which help to protect against whooping cough.
The mandate comes as the number of whooping cough cases in Illinois have almost doubled over the past two years, part of a national trend that has seen the highest levels of illness in more than 50 years. Students will be required to show proof of having received a single dose of the Tdap vaccine, which protects against pertussis (whooping cough), tetanus and diphtheria, or have an approved religious or medical exemption on file by Oct. 15.
Walgreens, CPS and CDPH, building on a collaborative health initiative around flu last year, aim to heighten awareness around the importance of getting the Tdap vaccine prior to the start of the school year Aug. 26, by providing greater and more convenient access to vaccinations through a number of programs and events. These include:
- Events being held at select CPS locations with Walgreens pharmacists on hand to administer vaccines to students in need
- Walgreens and CDPH hosting immunization clinics throughout the city to provide vaccines to students in need
- The CDPH Care Van touring parks, schools and businesses to offer free mobile immunization clinics in communities across Chicago
- Ten Walgreens stores in Chicago are being enrolled in the federally funded Vaccine for Children program, to help provide greater access to the Tdap vaccine for communities in need. The program provides vaccinations for eligible children up to 18 years of age.
More information is available at www.cityofchicago.org/health.“In Chicago, more cases of whooping cough were reported last year than in the prior three years combined,” said Dr. Julie Morita, medical director for the CDPH Immunization Program. “Making sure that children receive the Tdap vaccine is one of the most important things parents can do to protect their children. When our students are healthier, our classrooms, schools and communities will be healthier.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV