As summer winds down and schedules remain hectic with ample opportunities for unhealthy eating, the Life Time Foundation, dedicated to providing kids with healthy meals at schools, urges families and kids alike to stay out of the unhealthy snacking trap and use these five quick, easy and healthy snack options.
- Fruit freezies: Puree a favorite mixture of fresh fruits and fruit juice and pour into Popsicle moldings before freezing overnight. For a tasty twist, add in honey, mint or basil. Another alternative is to set out organic, frozen fruit — such as berries or grapes — for 5-10 minutes before munching down. The fruit will thaw enough to chew and enjoy, but still hold a chill to cool down even the hottest summer days.
- Homemade banana ice cream: Place frozen bananas in a food processor and blend until smooth. Add in unsweetened almond milk for a creamier texture and top with raw nuts, chopped dates or dark chocolate chips.
- Fruit kabobs: Slide cubed fruit on wooden skewers. Use a variety of different colors such as pineapples, grapes, mango, kiwi, apples and berries to make it fun and delicious.
- Sandwich on a stick: Place a small square of bread on a skewer and follow with a cube of cheese, preservative and antibiotic free sandwich meat, a cherry tomato, lettuce and a sliced cucumber then top with another small square of bread. As a quick alternative, wrap natural sandwich meat around carrots, celery or cheese for an added crunch.
- Cucumber hummus boats: Slice a small cucumber in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds. Fill the middle with hummus and top with chopped tomatoes and feta.
For healthier summer snacks, avoid unhealthy ingredients including high fructose corn syrup, bleached flour, artificial sweeteners, artificial colors, artificial preservatives, trans fats/hydrogenated oils, hormones and antibiotics in animal products.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV