Aug. 20, 2013
Whether you are a first-time student, returning to campus for another year or simply planning a move over
wants to help make your move hassle free. As the do-it-yourself moving industry leader since 1945, we know the most cost-effective ways for you to move, and we're always eager to pass on helpful tips on to you. So read on for money-saving tips that Make Moving Easier.
The three most important tips to keep in mind when moving:
Suggestions for saving money, and quick tips for do-it-yourself movers:
- Plan ahead. Make your reservations as far in advance as possible by visiting uhaul.com or call us at 1-800-GO-UHAUL.
- Pack your boxes "strategically." Choose a "packing room" ahead of time and box up a few things each day. Mark each box with its contents and destination room. Have all your boxes packed before you go to rent your truck. Load the heaviest items first, in front and on the floor. Pack items firmly and closely.
- The last thing you want is the expense of having your personal belongings damaged. Protect your items by using the proper moving supplies, such as U-Haul packing peanuts, which are 100 percent biodegradable, bubble wrap or U-Haul furniture pads made from recycled denim.
The most common mistakes people make when moving:
- Save money on your rental by avoiding the weekend rush and especially trying to avoid the end of the month when apartment leases expire. Typically, Sunday through Thursday offers greater equipment availability…plus, banks, utilities and government offices are open.
- Prior to your move, check out the U-Haul Online Packing Planner ( uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/PackingPlanner.pdf) to help you determine how many boxes you will need. Buy your boxes worry free – U-Haul has a 100 percent buyback guarantee on all boxes and moving supplies – so buy as many as you think you may need.
- Drive safely and monitor the equipment while it is in your possession, just as you would your own personal vehicle.
- Parents…don't want your students to drive a U-Haul moving van? Then check out U-Box portable moving and storage.
- Take advantage of the U-Haul 30-day free-storage offer with every one-way move.
Suggestions and tips on securing your rental equipment:
- Not planning ahead; waiting until the last minute to reserve a truck or trailer
- Not packing their boxes ahead of time
- Not making arrangements for loading and unloading help. Learn more by visiting Moving Help.
Visit our website and download additional moving statistics and fun facts by visiting
- Always secure the back door of the moving van or trailer with a padlock.
- Always make sure your doors are locked.
- Always park your rental equipment legally and in a well-lit area.
- Back up your rental equipment as close as possible to a garage door, building or wall…and if you can, park another vehicle in front of the moving van.
- When parking your vehicle at a hotel, you park your equipment close to entry doors and, again, try to park in a well-lit area, making sure the equipment is locked.
- When parking your vehicle at a restaurant, make sure the doors are locked, the back door of the moving van is locked and then park it where you can see it from the window.
- Prior to moving, look into your homeowner's insurance policy, as some policies will cover belongings while moving as long as the insurance policy is in force during the move.
, Director, Media and Public Relations
, Senior Media and Public Relations SpecialistU-Haul International, Inc.(602) 263-6194