Agrichemical giant Monsanto (MON) is another name that's looking toxic to your portfolio. Monsanto is effectively flat on the year, after dancing around in a pretty narrow range since the beginning of January. With shares popping out of the downside of that range, investors should brace themselves for more downside from MON.
Monsanto spent the last few months forming a descending triangle pattern, a price setup formed by downtrending resistance to the upside and horizontal support below shares at $98. Basically, as MON bounced in between those two technically-important price levels, it was getting squeezed closer and closer to a breakdown below $98 support. When that happened at the start of this month, we got an initial sell signal. More recently, a consolidation right underneath newfound resistance is giving traders a second chance to exit shares.Small consolidations -- or even retracements back to previous support -- aren't uncommon after technically significant moves. In fact, they're typically seen as confirming moves, since MON's pop back up to $98 verified to sellers that the stock was now unable to catch a bid at higher levels. If you haven't already sold MON in 2013, now's your chance.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV