We're seeing the exact same pattern in shares of Eagle Materials (EXP), a $3 billion cement stock. This trade is just a little further along. That's not too surprising -- MLM and Eagle operate in the same business, so they're likely to correlate highly with one another. But whatever the reason, EXP is providing us with another long-term sell signal this summer.
For EXP, the neckline level is right above $65 right now, a price that shares pushed below at the end of last week. Today, we're seeing confirmation that EXP buyers couldn't hold shares up above that last-resort support level at $65. That makes EXP a sell right now. Momentum adds some extra evidence to Eagle's downside bias -- RSI has been in a long-term downtrend since before the head and shoulders started forming.Lest you think that the head and shoulders is too well known to be worth trading, the research suggests otherwise. A recent academic study conducted by the Federal Reserve Board of New York found that the results of 10,000 computer-simulated head-and-shoulders trades resulted in profits that "would have been both statistically and economically significant." If you decide to bet against Eagle, keep a tight stop in place.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV