BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- Buying stocks is the easy part of the investment game; the hard part is knowing when to sell.
It's been quite a run in 2013. Since the first trading session of the new year, the S&P 500 has climbed close to 16% higher. But with close to half a year ahead of us before we close the books on 2013, that breakneck pace isn't sustainable forever. The question is when and how we'll correct. Will it just be a slowdown or a more significant price crash?
The answer is going to depend largely on the individual names you own. While some names with more robust relative strength will continue to plow higher, weaker names are starting to show cracks. That's why today we're taking a closer look at five "toxic" stocks you should sell.To be fair, the companies I'm talking about today aren't exactly "junk." >>5 Big Stocks to Trade Now I mean, they're not next up in line at bankruptcy court. But that's frankly irrelevant; from a technical analysis standpoint, they're some of the worst positioned names out there right now. For that reason, fundamental investors need to decide how long they're willing to take the pain if they want to hold onto these firms this summer. And for investors looking to buy one of these positions, it makes sense to wait for more favorable technical conditions (and a lower share price) before piling in. For the unfamiliar, technical analysis is a way for investors to quantify qualitative factors, such as investor psychology, based on a stock's price action and trends. Once the domain of cloistered trading teams on Wall Street, technicals can help top traders make consistently profitable trades and can aid fundamental investors in better planning their stock execution. >>5 Earnings Stocks Everyone Hates -- but You Should Love So, without further ado, let's take a look at five toxic stocks you should be unloading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV