Let's get one thing out of the way first: Everyone seems to agree that the Elmiraj is among the most beautiful automobile creations we have ever seen. The exterior looks 100% production-ready, too.
In concept-car form, the Elmiraj is based on a conventional type of drivetrain: A 4.5 liter V8 up front, driving the rear wheels. This is supposedly what will form the basis for Cadillac's largest sedan a year or so down the road.
If the Elmiraj makes it into production like this, the automotive press will cheer. However, the automotive press consists mostly of old farts whose passion for automobiles was formed around the time of Steve McQueen's 1967 Bullitt. That's when car tech meant 8-track tape decks.
The problem is that while a 4.5 liter V8 Elmiraj will cause the automotive press to cheer, they are fighting the last battle. Actually, more like three battles past, sort of like Vietnam.(GM) is selling both pure electric cars (Chevrolet Spark EV) and range-extended electric cars (Chevrolet Volt). Cadillac's coupe version of the Volt -- the ELR -- enters production the week after Thanksgiving this year. Much of Tesla's market cap today can be ascribed to the scarcity value of offering the market's only large luxury electric car. If Cadillac decided to build the Elmiraj on a beefed-up Volt/ELR platform, it would likely punctuate several billions of dollars of Tesla market cap -- and perhaps add a few billion to GM's own market cap.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV