AVONDALE, La., Aug. 19, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The amphibious transport dock Somerset (LPD 25), the ninth San Antonio-class ship built at Huntington Ingalls Industries' (NYSE:HII) Ingalls Shipbuilding division, returned Friday from successful builder's sea trials in the Gulf of Mexico. Ingalls' test and trials team spent three days operating the ship and going through its normal at-sea checklist, which includes more than 200 test events.
A photo accompanying this release is available at http://media.globenewswire.com/hii/mediagallery.html?pkgid=20549
"We put Somerset through rigorous testing last week," said Mike Duthu, director of Ingalls' LPD Program. "We are extremely pleased with the fit and finish on the ship and how well she performed. LPD 25 proved her seaworthiness with strong performance in several different tests, including the ship's propulsion, steering, navigation, communications and weapons. The team did a great job getting LPD 25 to this point. We have already started preparations for Navy acceptance trials, and we have confidence that we'll be ready."B-roll video accompanying this release is available at: http://media.globenewswire.com/cache/14858/file/21562.wmv . Testing during builder's trials also includes anchor handling, flight operations, ballasting and de-ballasting the well deck, and compartment air balancing. "The logistics it takes to conduct that many test events in a three-day period requires excellent planning by the test and trials team," said Richard Schenk, Ingalls' vice president of test and trials. "The team and the ship performed well. While there is still much work to do in preparation for U.S. Navy acceptance trials, I'm confident the LPD 25 Ingalls/Navy team will have the ship ready. It is incumbent upon us to ensure the safety of every sailor and Marine who will operate this amphibious ship. We do not take that responsibility lightly, and these sea trials prove it."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV