Newmont Mining ( NEM ) had nearly $1.25 billion in cash at the end of its quarter ending June 30, 2013. The firm pays a dividend of $1.40, which yields 4.32%. Last quarter, Newmont lost $2.1 billion, after accounting for $2.26 billion in write-offs for mines located in Australia. Newmont produced 1.16 million ounces of gold, a 1% decrease from the previous year. The firm will be spending up to $2.4 billion in capital expenditures this year.
Kinross Gold Corp. ( KGC ) is another gold miner to consider. Hedge fund legend Seth Klarman recently took a small position in Kinross – opening a 2.1 million share position in the second quarter. Meanwhile Kinross suspended paying dividends. This move will save $182 million annually. In the last quarter, Kinross earned $0.10 per share on revenue of $968 million.
Written by Chris Lau, Kapitall contributor. All data sourced from Finviz.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV