Updated from 2:53 p.m. ET with market close information and comment from Rafferty Capital Markets analyst Richard Bove.
The broad indices all ended lower on a day with no major economic reports scheduled. Investors are looking ahead to Wednesday's release of the minutes from the Federal Open Market Committee's meeting in July, for clues on when the Federal Reserve might lower its monthly bond purchases.
Another major Federal Reserve event is the annual conference in Jackson Hole, Wyo., Aug. 22 to 24. According to KBW analyst Brian Gardner, "Given the lack of a keynote speech by Fed officials at Jackson Hole, the minutes will probably be the more significant of the two events this week as the markets search for further clues on the timing as well as the composition of tapering of large scale asset purchases."Janet Yellen -- vice chairwoman of the Federal Reserve Board and considered the frontrunner by many to succeed Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke next year -- will not be giving a speech at the Jackson Hole Conference. However, she will moderate a panel discussion on Friday. "
JPMorgan ChaseJPMorgan's shares dipped Monday after a weekend report in the New York Times DealBook said the company was facing a civil investigation by the Securities and Exchange Commission over the bank's hiring practices in China.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV