That said, Yahoo! still has a direction.
Mayer's wants to reposition the company as a technology leader. In trying to do so, she has ruffled feathers -- many of which needed to be ruffled.
And the days of the doom-and-gloom talks are over. The company once again resembles an Internet pioneer. It's no longer just a media company.
There's no denying that Mayer still has plenty of work ahead of her before Yahoo! is fully turned around. But given that the stock has surged more than 110% over the past year, it's hard to argue that investors don't believe in her.I'm not often impressed by corporate boards. But Yahoo!'s board certainly got it right when it hired Mayer. I also believe Mayer's performance over the past year means that it won't be such "surprising" news the next time a big company hires a woman chief executive. Along those lines, people have speculated that Facebook's Sheryl Sandberg will get tapped for a CEO job. I've been on record as recommending her for the Microsoft job that doesn't come open but should. Thanks to Mayer, Sandberg will get her chance much sooner than otherwise. Yahoo! threw Wall Street a curve ball by hiring Mayer. What's surprising is that despite her achievements, and bottom-line results, people still criticize her methods. Mayer is described as a person who loves numbers. Maybe her critics should look at Yahoo!'s numbers -- its stock price and Yahoo!'s traffic data -- before questioning whether she knows what's she's doing. At the time of publication, the author held no positions in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @saintssense This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV