- Decorating matters. Decorate with light-colored rugs and window treatments to reflect natural light and make sure furniture, curtains, rugs and other items don't block air vents.
- Water leaks add up. Report leaking faucets to your manager or resident assistant – one drop of hot water per minute wastes about 60 gallons per week (and the energy needed to heat it).
- Look for the label. Choosing computers, televisions and other electronics with the ENERGY STAR® label will help save money year after year.
- Light right. Use smaller lamps with compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) or LEDs to illuminate workspaces like desks and tables.
- Cooking counts. Cooking small portions in the microwave or toaster oven generates less heat than a stove or oven and can reduce electrical usage for cooking by as much as 80 percent.
Back To School Means Back To Budgeting
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.