ATLANTA, Aug. 19, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- As hundreds of thousands of students return to Georgia colleges and universities this fall, Georgia Power reminds students that being energy efficient in dorm rooms and apartments is an easy way to keep money in their bank accounts.
"We understand that most college students keep one eye on their books and their other eye on their budget," said Michele Wagner, director of energy efficiency for Georgia Power. "Incorporating energy efficiency into campus life is an easy way to save money and energy throughout the school year and also help protect the environment."
Georgia Power reminds college students that:
- Decorating matters. Decorate with light-colored rugs and window treatments to reflect natural light and make sure furniture, curtains, rugs and other items don't block air vents.
- Water leaks add up. Report leaking faucets to your manager or resident assistant – one drop of hot water per minute wastes about 60 gallons per week (and the energy needed to heat it).
- Look for the label. Choosing computers, televisions and other electronics with the ENERGY STAR® label will help save money year after year.
- Light right. Use smaller lamps with compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) or LEDs to illuminate workspaces like desks and tables.
- Cooking counts. Cooking small portions in the microwave or toaster oven generates less heat than a stove or oven and can reduce electrical usage for cooking by as much as 80 percent.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV