ST. LOUIS, Aug. 19, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Rawlings Sporting Goods Company, Inc., a subsidiary of Jarden Corporation (NYSE: JAH), and the Society for American Baseball Research (SABR) unveiled today the committee of seven sabermetric experts and the SABR Defensive Index™ (SDI™), the new statistical breakdown for the Rawlings Gold Glove Award® and Rawlings Platinum Glove Award™ selection processes the committee created.
The 2013 season marks the first season Rawlings formally incorporates sabermetrics as a component of the two Award platforms.
"As we looked to marry 'The Art of Fielding with the Science of Baseball™,' the composition of the SABR Defensive Index is exactly what we were hoping to achieve," said Mike Thompson, senior vice president of marketing for St. Louis-based Rawlings. "Since its inception in 1957, the Rawlings Gold Glove Award has relied on the major-league managers and coaches' invaluable insights and keen understanding of the art of fielding to reward the best defensive players in the game. The new sabermetric component in the selection process is just another example of how the iconic Award has evolved throughout history as the industry standard honoring defensive excellence at the highest level of baseball."Rawlings revealed the revised selection process overview in March as part of its new collaboration with SABR. Since that announcement, SABR enlisted an independent committee of experts in baseball analytics and defensive measurement to devise the SDI. The SABR Defensive Committee includes:
- Committee chair Vince Gennaro, SABR President and author of Diamond Dollars: The Economics of Winning in Baseball
- Sean Forman, founder of Baseball-Reference.com
- John Dewan, owner of Baseball Info Solutions
- Bo Moon, executive vice president and co-founder of Bloomberg Sports
- Chris Dial, author and recognized expert on defensive metrics
- Michael Humphreys, author of Wizardry: Baseball's All-Time Greatest Fielders Revealed
- F.X. Flinn, SABR board of directors