ONXX gapped up 54.1% on July 1st on reports Amgen (AMGN) wants to buy the company for $120 per share. The stock rallied to a record high of $136.87 through July 8 and remained well above the offering price in the weeks that followed on expectations other bidders might top AMGN's offer. On July 16, ONXX said it was expecting to see interest from roughly five parties, including Pfizer (PFE).
ONXX is down $0.40 to $115.40 today and took a 7.3% hit last Thursday after Bloomberg reported that the biotech's merger talks with AMGN might have hit a snag. The article noted that, while AMGN is possibly willing to raise its offer to $130 per share, the deal might collapse over AMGN's put to access data related to ONXX blood cancer treatment Kyprolis, the company's key attraction.
While ONXX shares are now trading well below the $120 original offer on concerns the deal might collapse, some players in the options market seem to be expecting a deal announcement in the weeks ahead. On Friday, 53,000 calls and 31,000 puts traded on the stock. Much of the focus was on September 120 and 125 calls, with buyers taking new positions. Some of the activity might have been to replace August upside calls on ONXX that expired last week. Nevertheless, the activity seems to be expressing confidence that a deal could take place at a price much higher than current levels and an announcement will happen before the September expiration.
OptionsProfits can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/OptionsProfits
Henry can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/OptionAlert
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV