The self-proclaimed Internet security expert in Palestine thought he found a vulnerability that allows someone to create a message and post it on anyone else's Facebook wall. He tested his theory by creating a rogue posting to Sarah Goodman's wall. Ms. Goodman is a friend of Facebook CEO Marc Zuckerberg and the first woman to join the service.
Shreateh's blog claims he wrote to Facebook and warned the company about the problem, attaching a screen shot of his findings. He figured that under Facebook's "white hat" disclosure policy he would be eligible for a $500 (minimum) reward for reporting a bug.
A Facebook employee wrote back to him, saying, "I am sorry this is not a bug." After that, Shreateh posted a message on CEO Marc Zuckerberg's personal timeline to warn him of the problem he had discovered, this getting Facebook's attention.Within minutes, Shreateh received an email response from a Facebook security engineer asking for details, and Shreateh's account was immediately suspended. He was told his original report didn't have enough technical information for the company to take appropriate actions. That was followed by another engineer's email explaining the company wasn't going to pay him a finder's fee because his actions violated the company's "Terms of Service". Shreateh's account has since been reinstated but he's not going to be rewarded for his actions. Facebook shares were advancing 0.49% to $37.25 in early Monday trading. --Written by Gary Krakow in New York. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV