Alcoa Foundation announced today in partnership with Earthwatch Institute that 27 Alcoa (NYSE: AA) employees have been selected to research environmental challenges in Brazil, Canada and China. Earthwatch is an environmental organization, whose mission is to promote the understanding and action necessary for a sustainable environment,
“Our long-term partnership with Earthwatch Institute strategically combines two Alcoa priorities: environmental excellence and employee engagement,” said Tricia Napor, Principal Manager for Environmental Programs, Alcoa Foundation. “This program is a great opportunity to reward employees who have an interest in the environment and equip them with knowledge, a network and support from leadership to become true environmental ambassadors in the Company and their communities.”
The three week-long expeditions to Guyrá Farm in Brazil, the Arctic's edge in Canada and Dinghushan National Nature Reserve in China include world-class research on climate change, carbon sequestration, and other ecosystem services.
The data is collected using an assortment of techniques, from the identification of birds collected in mist nets in Brazil’s tropical forest to measuring greenhouse gases in the Arctic permafrost. The expeditions are:
- Conserving Brazil's Atlantic Forest: Understanding the response of tropical rainforests to various human pressures, including how those pressures change species composition and structure, and how they alter the forests’ contributions to the ecosystem.
- Climate Change on China’s Dinghushan Forest: Monitoring the structure and fruiting phrenology of mushrooms and understanding the change of mushroom biodiversity as it relates to changes in climate.
- Climate Change at Canada’s Arctic Edge: Gathering data on the impacts of melting permafrost and the shift of trees in northern ecosystems, which demonstrates significant changes to a fragile ecosystem.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts