NEW YORK, Aug. 19, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The Deal, TheStreet's (NASDAQ:TST) institutional business, today announced the results of their quarterly rankings of the top firms and professionals involved in active bankruptcy cases for the second quarter of 2013. Overall, there were 973 filings in Q2 versus 1,030 in Q1.
Read The Deal's full analysis here.League Table highlights:
- The top two law firms by volume remained the same as Q1 with Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP with cases totaling $1,055.1 billion in assets and White & Case LLP with $1,040.9 billion in assets. Rounding out the top five were Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP with $1,031.4 in assets, Saul Ewing LLP with $1,028.3 billion in assets and Duane Morris LLP with $1,023.0 billion in assets.
- The top five investment banks by volume were Houlihan Lokey Inc. with $48.2 billion in assets, Moelis & Co. LLC with $40.7 billion in assets, Blackstone Group LP with $36.6 billion in assets, Jefferies LLC with $34.2 billion in assets and Perella Weinberg Partners LP with $33.0 billion in assets.
- FTI Consulting Inc. took over the top slot in crisis management firms by volume by adding $624.8 billion despite losing two cases, giving them $916.1 billion in assets.
- Amongst lawyers, Michael Schein ( Vedder Price PC), Thomas Lauria (White & Case LLP) and Douglas B. Rosner (Goulston & Storrs PC) maintained their top three positions from Q1, with Richard Hahn (Debevoise & Plimpton LLP), Douglas Lipke ( Vedder Price PC), Andrew D. Gottfried (Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP), Scott Davidson (King & Spalding LLP), Daniel H. Golden (Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP), Peter Gilhuly (Latham & Watkins LLP) and Neil E. Herman (Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP) rounding out the top 10.
- One particularly active area was the marine transportation sector, which has provided a bounty for restructuring advisers so far in 2013. Filings included STX Pan Ocean Co. Ltd. ( $6.7 billion), Excel Maritime Carriers Ltd. ( $2.7 billion), TMT USA Shipmanagement LLC ( $1.5 billion) and PT Berlian Laju Tanker Tbk ( $500 million). (Excel's figures are not part of this quarter's data, as it filed for Chapter 11 on July 1.)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV