NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Homebuilder stocks were the 2013 leaders until peaking in mid-May. My benchmark for the housing market is the PHLX Housing Sector Index
The attempt at building new foundations began at 10 a.m. Thursday with the release of the National Association of Home Builders Housing Market Index which showed a rise of three points in August to a reading of 59, well above the neutral reading of 50, the highest in nearly eight years. Officials from the NAHB say that builders are seeing increased foot traffic and with firming prices potential buyers are anxious to find the right deal on a new single-family home.
Even with this elevated optimism the NAHB also has concerns. The inventory of both new and existing homes for sale is limited, and increasing production of new single-family homes is being slowed by tight credit for both builders and buyers, and by the limited supply of desirable lots and construction labor.
The release of Housing Starts data for July on Friday morning does not jive with builder confidence. Starts rose by a less than expected 5.9% with an annual rate of 896,000 units, while single-family starts declined 2.2% to a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 591,000 units in July. The chart below shows the growing gap between homebuilder confidence and single-family housing starts, which appear to be stalling at the 600,000 threshold.Fear and Greed Return to the Housing Market. At that time eight of the homebuilders were rated hold and three were rated sell. Today 10 are rated hold and one is rated buy according to ValuEngine. In July five were overvalued by more than 20%, and now there are just three. In July seven had gains of more than 25% over the last 12 months and today there are just three.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV