Where 2 Surveys Agree: Mortgages Hikes Don't Scare Buyers
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- How much will home prices rise over 12 months? How about 3.9%? No, it's 6.7%.
Those are the findings of two opinion surveys released last week. Granted, they're not perfect apples-to-apples comparisons, so perhaps the best conclusion is that most everyone expects prices to continue to rise, but not as much as in the past year or so.
The surveys also suggest that consumers are shaking off their concern about the mortgage rate hikes of recent months. Now they seem to be focusing on the fact that rates, while likely to rise, are still low, making this a good time to buy.
The 3.9% figure comes from Fannie Mae's quarterly survey of consumers, who were asked to predict price increases from this July to next July. The 6.7% prediction comes from economists and other real estate experts polled by Zillow (Z), the market-information firm, and it covers January through December 2013. So it includes some of the rapid appreciation this year before July, figures that aren't part of the Fannie Mae survey.believe it is a good time to buy a house, while 40% said it was a good time to sell. That difference indicates consumers recognize that in most of the country home prices are still well below past highs.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV