Minister Julian Fantino Salutes Canada's Hong Kong Veterans
WINNIPEG, Aug. 17, 2013 /CNW/ - The Honourable Julian Fantino, Minister of Veterans Affairs, today met with Veterans and delegates at the Hong Kong Veterans Commemorative Association Convention, and delivered remarks in tribute to Canadians who served in Hong Kong.
" Canada has a proud tradition of military service and our Government recognizes that this legacy would not be possible without the service and sacrifices of the Veterans who fought in the Battle of Hong Kong," said Minister Fantino. "The Hong Kong Veterans Commemorative Association and Veterans Affairs Canada will continue to work together to help Canadians commemorate and honour Canada's Veterans."
In late October 1941, almost 2,000 Canadian soldiers from the Winnipeg Grenadiers and the Royal Rifles of Canada, boarded a troop ship bound for Hong Kong. Despite fighting to the end, by Christmas Day 1941, the battered Allies had no choice but to surrender. The experiences of the Canadians in Hong Kong serve as a lasting reminder of the high price of war and the incredible efforts and sacrifices that Canadians and the Allies would put forth to eventually triumph in the Second World War.
For more information on the Battle of Hong Kong, read the " Canada Remembers the Defence of Hong Kong" historical sheet on the Veterans Affairs Canada website at veterans.gc.ca .2013 is the Year of the Korean War Veteran—Canada proudly remembers the heroes of the Korean War and their brave fight to defend the Republic of Korea and uphold freedom, democracy and the rule of law. For more information on Canada's role in the Korean War, visit veterans.gc.ca . SOURCE Veterans Affairs Canada
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV