So, here's what has to happen.
First, stock prices come down. I mentioned 1643 on the S&P 500, but maybe it goes down as low as 1610 if the 10-year keeps going higher (the iShares Barclays 20+ Year Treasury Bond Fund (TLT) still looks like a short to me).
Second, expectations come down. That's what's happening now, a real ratcheting lower of estimates.
Third, when that process is completed, rates should stop going higher and better reflect the slowing economy.Fourth, internationally oriented stocks do better because Asia and Europe are getting better, not worse. So, they are the places to go into the weakness. Those and the stocks that have little cyclical exposure that have come down enough -- like ConAgra (CAG), PepsiCo (PEP), Kimberly-Clark (KMB), Johnson & Johnson (JNJ), Clorox (CLX) and Colgate-Palmolive (CL) -- will become buys. This process might be more gradual than today's prices indicate, if only because a lot of money is still on the sidelines and a lot of hedge funds need to catch up. But it is the odds-on scenario, and it must be prepared for. Action Alerts PLUS, which Cramer co-manages as a charitable trust, was long CSCO.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV