NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Jim Cramer fills his blog on RealMoney every day with his up-to-the-minute reactions to what's happening in the market and his legendary ahead-of-the-crowd ideas. This week he blogged on:
- settling the big retail debate; and
- paying the piper
Click here for information on RealMoney, where you can see all the blogs, including Jim Cramer's -- and reader comments -- in real time.
Retail Faces Defining WeekPosted at 6:23 a.m. EDT on Friday, Aug. 16 The biggest debate in retail will be solved next week. Right now, there's a definitive split out there. The stock intelligentsia believes that the public is still spending, but only on the house, not the body. In other words, apparel's weak, much weaker, but home goods are strong. The debate gets settled next week when Home Depot (HD - Get Report) and Lowe's (LOW - Get Report) report. I have to tell you that I am truly worried about retail here. Our country seems, overnight, to have become a nation of savers. The borrowings are way down and the money's not being spent at the mall. People seem to be hunkering down at precisely the moment they shouldn't be, when jobs are coming back. There are two explanations. One is that Washington wrecked things with the taxes and the sequester and people are feeling it, especially when the tax of higher gasoline is upon us. Another is that they are still spending, but they are spending it on their homes now that homes are going up in value. Anyone who has been on a Home Depot call knows that home spending has been below average for years and years now. Maybe that's changing.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV