PITTSBURGH, Aug. 16, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- United States Steel Corporation's (NYSE: X) Board of Directors today elected President and Chief Operating Officer Mario Longhi as a director, and announced that he will succeed Chairman John P. Surma as chief executive officer effective Sept. 1. Surma will retain the position of executive chairman through Dec. 31 when he will retire from the company and from the board of directors. "Mario is an experienced CEO, and we have benefitted from his strong leadership as we position our company for the future," Surma said. "In the tradition of the U. S. Steel CEOs who have preceded me in the last 112 years, I am pleased to turn the leadership of our company over to Mario, who has earned the respect and trust of our Board and our employees, our customers and our investors, and is ready for this important challenge. I am pleased that our well-established succession planning process has produced such a capable and experienced executive who deserves the opportunity to lead U. S. Steel and our new management team into the future."
Seth Schofield, who serves as presiding director of the United States Steel board of directors, added, "Our board extends its appreciation to John Surma for his many contributions to our company during his decade as CEO, which included some of the most challenging years in U. S. Steel's long history. We are equally excited about the company's prospects under the leadership of Mario Longhi, who is uniquely qualified to lead U. S. Steel into the future."
U. S. Steel will issue additional news releases shortly about other executive management changes.
For more information about U. S. Steel, visit www.ussteel.com.SOURCE United States Steel Corporation
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV