Teamsters Drop Bid to Organize Mechanics at American
"The recent announcement that the federal government will fight the proposed merger between US Airways (LCC)and American Airlines places the workers at American Airlines in significant turmoil," said Union spokesman Bret Caldwell, in a prepared statement.
"American Airlines' emergence from bankruptcy has been cast into doubt and the union has determined that the continued conflict between labor organizations is not in the best interest of the workers," Caldwell said. "This is not a time for workers to fight among themselves."
On Monday, the Teamsters lost a bid to unionize mechanics and related workers at US Airways. On Tuesday, the Department of Justice said it will file suit to block the planned merger of US Airways and American. The Teamsters had hoped to represent mechanics and related workers at the combined carriers."More than 6,000 American Airlines mechanics and related personnel signed cards to make the Teamsters their bargaining representative," the Teamsters said Friday, announcing for the first time the number of American workers who had signed cards. Recently the Transport Workers Union, which represents mechanics and related workers at American, had filed documents with the National Mediation Board alleging that some of those signatures were forged. Follow @tedreednc -- Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C. >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Ted Reed
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV