Kodak Poised for a Comeback
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Despite Eastman Kodak's fade from prominence among the strongest companies in the world, the former photographic film maker is positioning itself for a comeback.
The rise of digital photography and decades of mismanagement drove Kodak to its eventual bankruptcy on Jan. 19, 2012, but sources have told TheStreet that the company will be re-listed on the New York Stock Exchange shortly after it exits the bankruptcy. The Rochester, N.Y.-based company is scheduled to present a reorganization plan in a New York court on Aug. 20.
Kodak world headquarters remain in Rochester, where it once employed more than 60,000 people at the peak of hiring in the 1980s. But total employment in the metropolitan area has risen to some 520,000 from about 414,000 since then, and the area's population has grown to about 1.1 million from 971,000.
Rochester avoided Detroit's fate as intellectual capital remained in the city. The University of Rochester is now the biggest employer there, while other major universities and hospitals have added to improving job opportunities. Many former employees stayed in the area after departing from Kodak and have created a burgeoning high tech manufacturing sector.See TheStreet's above video about the story of Kodak's fall, its bankruptcy and Rochester's resiliency, and read our three part series for an in-depth look at one of America's once great companies: Read Part 1 of Kodak's Fading Moment: "Kodak: The End of an American Moment" Read Part 2 of Kodak's Fading Moment: "Kodak's Bankruptcy: Manufacturing a 21st Century Rebirth" Read Part 3 of Kodak's Fading Moment: "Rochester's Rise Amid Kodak's Demise" -- Written by Joe Deaux in New York. >Contact by Email. Follow @JoeDeaux
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV