NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Although housing has been strong in 2013, the homebuilders have been punished this summer. Brian Peery, portfolio manager for the Hennessy Cornerstone Mid Cap 30 Fund, tells TheStreet's Gregg Greenberg about the stocks he prefers.
Peery said he likes Mohawk Industries (MHK) due the company's accretive business acquisitions and strong top- and bottom-line growth.
He added that the company has been seeing pent-up demand from homeowners looking to upgrade their homes, something they were not willing to do several years ago when home prices were in decline.
It's also why he continues to like Pier 1 Imports (PIR). In general, consumers do not remodel their entire home all in one trip, creating a form of recurring sales for the company, he said.Although a spike in interest rates would push mortgage rates higher, Peery said that could actually increase demand for housing, rather than decrease it, because potential buyers will be looking to lock-in rates before the hike. A beneficiary of this would be Standard Pacific Corp. (SPF), a homebuilder and mortgage lender in the Southwest. Peery said that he remains optimistic on these retailers and homebuilders through the rest of 2013 and expects demand to remain strong.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV