Gold for December delivery at the COMEX division of the New York Mercantile Exchange was tacking on $6.40 to $1,367.30 an ounce late Friday morning. The gold price traded as high as $1,374.30 and as low as $1,357 an ounce, while the spot price was increasing $2.96.
The yellow metal is up about 4% during August. Analysts initially deemed the August move a short-covering trade, but many now say it could be a rally with more gains ahead.
"The fact that gold is rallying with base [metals] as yields rise certainly suggests that there is something 'out of the norm' going on - to us it represents the market making a bet on future Fed actions," Marex Spectron wrote in a note Friday morning. "One could dismiss it is a short squeeze but ultimately what is the difference between a 20% short squeeze and a 20% bull market?"Analysts from JPMorgan echoed a similar sentiment in a research note to clients on Thursday, advising clients to purchase gold. "Buy the bounce," precious metals analysts John Bridges and Anant Inani wrote in the research note's headline. Gold's huge rise on Thursday following the revelation that Paulson & Co. cut its gold position in half, Bridges and Inani suggested, meant the move "may be delivering an exclamation mark to define the end of the 10-month, 25% fall in gold and 50% fall in gold equities." Michael Smith, president of T&K Futures and Options, said in a phone interview that gold traders are not dismissing escalating violence in Egypt. "This new violence has really got people scared," Smith said. "I think that [it's] the safe-haven trade all over again, like we saw two years ago when Greece was going to collapse and Italy and all the gold people ran to gold again for the currency hedge." Silver prices for September delivery were climbing 17 cents to $23.10 an ounce, while the U.S. dollar index moved higher by 0.16% to $81.30.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV