The finger-pointing and arguably bad publicity for both companies may be a boon for Aereo, the online TV service which CBS and its rival networks would like to see shut down. Nonetheless, Aereo CEO Chet Kanojia told TheStreet that the blackout reflects the inherent problems in an industry that sells packages of disparate channels to consumers who want alternatives to the cable-TV bundle.
"It is a commentary on the state of the industry and why alternatives should be recognized, embraced and permitted because it creates a vibrant market," Kanojia said.
Aereo faces the likelihood that the essence of its business, taking free-over-the-air broadcast signals and selling them to consumers for a monthly fee, will ultimately be decided in court. The case could go to a federal trial early next year in the Southern District of New York in Manhattan. Kanojia says the threat of that court case hasn't slowed Aereo's rollout. The company is planning on beginning service in Miami, Chicago, Houston and Dallas next month. Aereo can currently be accessed in New York, Boston, Atlanta and Utah."We believe that consumers have the ability to have an antennae, and Aereo is just a technologically fabulous way of a consumer having a remote antannae," he said. "Clearly
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV