Quick Take: Still Time to Ride Gold, Silver?
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- After the quick rise in gold and silver prices, is it time to buy, or wait for a pullback? TheStreet's Joe Deaux asked Rick Rule, chairman of Sprott USA.
Rule said silver in particular has had a rather strong week. While he still finds the fundamentals favorable, he attributed most of the move to the metal's deeply oversold condition.
Silver, which often outperforms gold to both the upside and the downside, is up 17% for the month of August.
Rule added that it is seems as if we've had a large rotation in the two metals, where weak hands in the paper and futures market were shaken out of their positions and long-term, non-margin buyers were taking in physical gold.Physical demand remains elevated, as seen by India's inability to stem demand despite raising taxes on purchases of the precious metals, Rule said. The metals are being bought outside of regulator control and consumers have also shown they are willing to pay the heightened taxes. Although traders might find precious metal prices too high to chase, long-term investors still have favorable entry points, he said. Rule concluded that he remained a buyer and that gold is solid portfolio insurance. Platinum and palladium also have the most favorable supply and demand fundamentals of the entire group. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV