NEW YORK (TheStreet) - AT&T (T) will begin selling the new Google/Motorola (GOOG)Moto X smartphone on August 23rd, the company announced today. The phone will be the first device that buyers will be allowed to design, personalize and have shipped right to their door.
Google shares were little changed at $859.02 in early trading in New York. Apple were rising 0.6% to $500.93.
Google's Motorola Mobility division will soon allow customers to create their phone by using the Moto Maker Website currently in beta testing. Buyers will be allowed to decide the handset's colors (front, back and buttons), along with memory accessories and even an engraved message on the back.
To help test the Moto Maker process, Motorola offered a number of journalists access to the online site to create personalized devices.As part of the process, I was e-mailed a secret code to create my own phone although real buyers will be handed a card with a "scratch-off" code when they buy their device. The process took only a few minutes. I can report that the toughest part for me was deciding which colors to choose. There are lots of possibilities. We chronicled the design experience too. You can watch the process of configuring my phone to see just how easy it was. Moto Maker is first launching with partner AT&T while Verizon (VZ), T-Mobile (TMUS) and Sprint (S) will reportedly follow in subsequent weeks. So now the Moto X I've designed is being assembled in the new Fort Worth, Texas plant. Motorola guarantees free delivery within four days (barring any parts shortages). I was told to expect the new phone on Monday. I'll let you know what to expect as soon as it arrives. --Written by Gary Krakow in New York. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV