The final chart is of the E-Mini S&P 500 Futures. As rates have risen and volatility has increased, this has pushed the equity index below its highs. An ETF that closely follows S&P futures is the SPDR S&P 500 (SPY).
It looks as if the S&P has formed a clear head-and-shoulders topping pattern and has since pushed lower from its highs. Although a strong downtrend might not commence immediately, it does seem as if the index will push toward the 1600 levels.
Expect over the next few weeks for gold and volatility to advance, bond yields to continue higher and equities to show weakness leading into September.Follow @AndrewSachais This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV