Vanderbeek will remain involved with the team as a senior adviser for the time being. He acquired the Devils in 2004 for $125 million. The Devils have won three Stanley Cup championships, with the most recent one coming in 2003.
The Devils are the second hockey team to be acquired this month. AltaCorp Capital Inc. CEO George Gosbee bought the Coyotes for $170 million, after the NHL had them on the auction block for three years.
In May 2012, St. Louis beer distributor Thomas Stillman acquired the St. Louis Blues for about $130 million. In December 2011, BCE Inc. and Rogers Communications Inc. acquired the Toronto Maple Leafs in a deal that also included the National Basketball League's Toronto Raptors from Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan for about $1.3 billion. In November 2011, Canadian investor Tom Gaglardi acquired the Dallas Stars out of bankruptcy for about $265 million.
-- Written by Demitri Diakantonis in New York
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV