Although the company enjoys a strong market position as one of the best part suppliers in a growing mobile industry, the stock has suffered, losing as much as 22% on the year to date. There are growing concerns that Broadcom, which has long been a standout is a weak chip industry, is beginning to lose market share to Qualcomm (QCOM).
Making matters worse, the company's margins have come under pressure as the average selling price (ASP) of high-end mobile devices have begun to come down due of fear of saturation. While Broadcom is not alone in these concerns, unlike its rivals Broadcom's stock has been unable to find a floor. After a horrid second quarter, which fanned the flames of worry, investors are beginning to wonder can this company ever recover.
Even with the prolonged weakness in the sector, which produced uninspiring results from the likes of Intel (INTC) and Advanced Micro Devices (AMD), given Broadcom's "upper-tier level" position within the market, expectations for the company were still high. But with revenue growing just 6% year over year, which was below Street estimates, it was clear that management just couldn't live up to the growth demands.(AAPL) strong iPhone shipments, I don't believe that Broadcom reaped an equal advantage. To that end, the idea that Broadcom is losing share to Qualcomm is no longer just a rumor.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV