The purchases of Trusteer and Silver Tail remove two of the more prominent web-fraud detection vendors from the market, Litan said.
Remaining independent security companies include NuData Security Ltd. of Vancouver, British Columbia, and Israeli firm Versafe Ltd., which is backed by the private equity arm of Susquehanna International Group. IBM and Trusteer expect to close the deal in the third quarter.
Earlier this year, in June, IBM bought SoftLayer Technologies Inc., a Texas-based cloud infrastructure provider majority-owned by private equity firm GI Partners, for $2 billion. A month later, it acquired closely held Israeli cloud computing technology company CSL International for undisclosed terms.
IBM also acquired Cleveland-based UrbanCode Inc. and the software portfolio of Star Analytics Inc. earlier this year.-- Written by Chris Nolter in New York
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV