Cook reiterated on the earnings call that China is incredibly important to Apple, despite the troublesome numbers from the most recent quarter. "And so I continue to believe that in the arc of time here, China is a huge opportunity for Apple and I don't get discouraged over a 90-day cycle that can have economic factors and other things in it," he said.
Ultimately getting a deal with China Mobile for the iPhone and perhaps the low-end iPhone, currently dubbed the iPhone 5C, would be a huge boon for Apple, as a deal is not currently baked into analysts models. Right now, Apple is expected to generate $35.96 billion in revenue for the fical fourth-quarter which ends in Sept,. and $54.76 billion in the fiscal first-quarter, Apple's all-important holiday season.
In the past, Apple has been able to get the latest iPhone over to China in December. Should Apple announce the iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C in Sept. as many are expecting, I would expect this trend to continue, and analysts' estimates will have to be raised.
Judging by Guohua's comments, it sounds like a deal between the two companies is closer than ever. That's good news for Apple shareholders, who desperately need some these days, not named Carl Icahn.--Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Chris_Ciaccia
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV