Discussing first-half results, China Mobile (CHL) Chairman Xi Guohua was optimistic about a deal between his company and the iconic iPhone maker, saying the two sides are "actively negotiating," but that there are some "commercial and technology issues that need time to resolve."
This isn't the first time the two companies have been in the news together. In early January, it was reported that Apple CEO Tim Cook and Guohua had met on "matters of cooperation," but there was nothing new to report at that time. Cook was spotted in China again in July, but again there was nothing new to report on an official relationship between Apple and China Mobile.
Eventually the two companies will come to a deal, and it will be huge for both companies, moreso Apple. China Mobile had 740 million customers at the end of the first half of 2013, up 8.4% year-over-year. At the end of June, it had 137.9 million 3G users, which is the segment Apple is targeting.Obviously Apple isn't going to get all 137.9 million users. But China Mobile continues to build out its network and a new chip from Qualcomm (QCOM), the RF360, which was unveiled in February, will eventually allow China Mobile to officially support an iPhone on its network. The RF360 supports the following networks: LTE-FDD, LTE-TDD, WCDMA, EV-DO, CDMA 1x, TD-SCDMA and GSM/EDGE, thus making it a global chip that will allow Apple to run its iPhones on every cell network in the world. It's thought that there are already as many as 10 million iPhones on the network, though the world's largest carrier doesn't officially support it. In Apple's latest quarter, revenue from China fell 43% sequentially, and 14% year-over-year to $4.64 billion. On Apple's recent earnings call, Cook noted that some accounting and inventory factors weighed on China, but it wasn't clear what exactly happened.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV