MCLEAN, Va., Aug. 15, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Iridium Communications Inc. (Nasdaq:IRDM) announces the winners of its Iridium NEXT Mission Team Scholarship program, one of the largest and most significant scholarships in the aerospace industry. Now in its second year, the annual program awards scholarships to the best and brightest aerospace engineering students in the world, including those already engaged in the development of Iridium NEXT through Iridium or Mission Team partner internships.
The winners of the 2013 Iridium NEXT Mission Team Scholarship are:
- Eric McVay, The University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, Ala.
- Chelsea Welch, University of Colorado, Boulder, Colo.
- Christopher Nie, University of Colorado, Boulder, Colo.
"We're very excited to build on the success of last year's program through the selection of the three outstanding students for the Iridium NEXT Mission Team scholarship," said Scott Smith, Chief Operating Officer, Iridium. "While Iridium NEXT represents the contributions of the best and brightest minds in today's aerospace industry, these students are the industry's future. And if the quality of applicants we received this year is any indication, the future of our industry is very bright."Created as part of Iridium's vision for the future, the Iridium NEXT Mission Team Scholarship program aims to foster the development of young engineers who have demonstrated high standards of academic excellence in the STEM fields of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics with a focus on aerospace studies. The 2013-2014 winners were selected based on a set of academic and objective criteria including letters of recommendation, a biography and a personal essay. The multi-year scholarship is made possible through an endowment funded by contributions from Iridium NEXT Mission Team companies, an innovative group of partners that are working on the company's next-generation satellite constellation, Iridium NEXT. By joining together, the Iridium NEXT Mission Team is supporting the development of aerospace students and encouraging new leaders in the industry. Along with contributions from Iridium, the 2013-2014 program is being funded by Iridium NEXT Mission Team members including SpaceX, Thales Alenia Space, Lockheed Martin, Boeing, SEAKR and MDA.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV