NEW YORK, Aug. 15, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Fixed mortgage rates were little changed, with the benchmark 30-year fixed mortgage rate inching up to 4.57 percent, according to Bankrate.com's weekly national survey. The average 30-year fixed mortgage has an average of 0.28 discount and origination points.
To see mortgage rates in your area, go to http://www.bankrate.com/funnel/mortgages/
The average 15-year fixed mortgage slipped to 3.61 percent, while the larger jumbo 30-year fixed mortgage rate retraced last week's move to settle at 4.73 percent. Adjustable rate mortgages were up more forcefully, with the popular 5-year adjustable rate jumping to 3.61 percent and the 7-year ARM to 3.98 percent.Mortgage rates have been range bound since late June, but where they move within that range is dependent on what the market thinks about when the Federal Reserve will begin tapering their bond purchases. Talk of a September tapering has kept mortgage rates in the upper half of that range in the past couple weeks. As recently as May 1 st, the average 30-year fixed mortgage rate was 3.52 percent. At that time, a $200,000 loan would have carried a monthly payment of $900.32. With the average rate currently at 4.57 percent, the monthly payment for the same size loan would be $1,021.71, a difference of $121 per month for anyone that waited too long. SURVEY RESULTS 30-year fixed: 4.57% -- up from 4.56% last week (avg. points: 0.28) 15-year fixed: 3.61% -- down from 3.62% last week (avg. points: 0.21) 5/1 ARM: 3.61% -- up from 3.53% last week (avg. points: 0.20) Bankrate's national weekly mortgage survey is conducted each Wednesday from data provided by the top 10 banks and thrifts in the top 10 markets.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV