Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) today reported financial results for the second quarter ended Jul. 31, 2013. Net sales were $116.2 billion, an increase of 2.4 percent over last year. On a constant currency basis, 1 net sales would have increased 2.8 percent to $116.7 billion. Membership and other income decreased 4.3 percent versus last year. Total revenue was $116.9 billion, an increase of $2.7 billion, or 2.3 percent over last year.
Consolidated net income attributable to Walmart was $4.1 billion, up 1.3 percent. Diluted earnings per share attributable to Walmart (EPS) were $1.24, a 5.1 percent increase, compared to $1.18 last year. EPS for the quarter was impacted by approximately $0.01 due to a charge for a certain non-income tax matter recorded in operating expenses within Walmart International.
|Solid earnings performance|
"We delivered a solid increase in earnings per share for the second quarter," said Mike Duke, Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. president and chief executive officer. "Consolidated net sales and our Walmart U.S. comp were below expectations. While the retail environment was challenging across all of our markets, the Walmart U.S. and Sam's Club businesses improved comp sales from the first quarter, and the growth of International sales was consistent.
"I'm encouraged by our position to execute in the second half of the year, particularly with the steps we're taking to improve performance," said Duke. "There are areas of our business where we can do a better job, and we will. I'm confident in our associates' abilities to deliver for our customers with EDLP and for shareholders with improved expense savings."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV