JACKSON, Mich., Aug. 15, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- More than 120 Consumers Energy interns this summer continued a tradition of giving back to the community, carrying out 28 community service projects that helped a food bank, Habitat for Humanity, a shelter for victims of abuse, and more.
Consumers Energy's Intern Challenge is a competition that challenges interns to develop creative solutions to needs in the communities the company serves. Interns formed 18 teams that worked on projects outside the office in Jackson, Kalamazoo, Midland, Macomb County, and other locations.
"I'm constantly surprised by the ingenuity and creativity these young people demonstrate in developing ideas and following them," said Carolyn Bloodworth, director of corporate giving for Consumers Energy. "They test their skills as a team and see the value of giving back to the community."The interns' projects included the following:
- One group built a nesting box for peregrine falcons that will be placed near the stack of the Karn/Weadock power plant, north of Bay City.
- A team of two interns volunteered at a shelter for domestic abuse victims in Midland, Cooking and serving a meal of Mexican food to about 50 residents and shelter staff.
- Interns participated in seven projects for Habitat for Humanity around the state. Tasks including building a home, tearing a house down and making repairs to a home whose owner could not do the work on her own.
- One team taught environmental lessons and planted a garden with summer students at a Jackson school.
- Interns talked about Consumers Energy programs and played bingo, and handed out gift certificates to seniors at local senior fairs and a center in Macomb County.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts