By Mike Yamamoto, managing editor of OptionMonster
More than 12,000 September 7 calls traded in a strong buying pattern Wednesday as prices doubled from 12 cents to 24 cents, according to OptionMonster's real-time tracking systems. The volume was well above the strike's previous open interest of 8,648 contracts, indicating that new positions were initiated.
These calls lock in a $7 purchase price for the stock through mid-September no matter how far it might rise, but they will expire worthless if ANR remains below that level. Wednesday's action followed heavy short-term call buying in contracts that expired last Friday, which resulted in many trades that saw exponential gains.Alpha Natural shares rose 5.51 percent yesterday to close at $6.13. The stock began the year above $10 but trended steadily lower until finding recent support around $5, and it has risen sharply while breaking above its 50-day average in the last week. Total option volume in the name yesterday was more than triple its daily average for the last month. Overall calls outnumbered puts by 5 to 1, further reflecting the session's bullish sentiment. Yamamoto has no positions in ANR.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV