CHICAGO, Aug. 15, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The time it takes to hire key health care functions is having a negative effect on most health care organizations, according to hiring managers surveyed in a new CareerBuilder study. Forty-eight percent of nursing jobs and 39 percent of allied health jobs go unfilled for six weeks or longer, on average. Nursing jobs go unfilled for 12 weeks or longer at 20 percent of health care organizations.
The duration of vacancies raises two important questions for the industry. First, how do vacancies affect the organization? Secondly, why are positions taking so long to fill?
The nationwide survey—conducted online by Harris Interactive on behalf of CareerBuilder from May 14 to June 5, 20l3, among a representative sample of more than 200 full-time, private sector hiring managers and HR professionals for health care employers—found that extended vacancies are negatively affecting health care organizations in a variety of ways, including patient care.
Negative Effects of Extended VacanciesA majority of employers cited at least one negative effect of vacancies (59 percent), with the top effects being:
- Employee morale is lower because staff is overworked – 36 percent
- Patients get less attention – 20 percent
- Higher voluntary turnover – 11 percent
- More mistakes in administration of patient care – 10 percent
- Increased lawsuits – 4 percent
- Applicants do not have any relevant experience – 47 percent
- Applicants have salary requirements that are too high – 42 percent
- Applicants have less than 3 years relevant experience – 40 percent
- Applicants don't have the proper education or training – 39 percent
- Applicants have poor communication skills – 38 percent
- Work schedule/hours are not desirable – 38 percent
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts