Please refer to non-IFRS measures at the end of this press release.
"Record first half production of 16.9 million ounces puts Silver Wheaton well on track to meet our 2013 forecast of 33.5 million silver equivalent ounces, an increase of 14% over the previous year," said Randy Smallwood, President and Chief Executive Officer of Silver Wheaton. "Production from the recently acquired Sudbury and Salobo mines was stronger than expected, and we anticipate further growth as Salobo continues ramping up and the Totten mine in Sudbury starts production in the second half of this year."
"While Barrick announced that there has been an additional delay at Pascua-Lama, we remain confident in their ability to bring this world class project on line. Furthermore, given the production we continue to receive from three of Barrick's other mines, Silver Wheaton shareholders are well compensated for the delay. In the first half of the year, these other mines have produced nearly 1.3 million ounces of silver for Silver Wheaton."
"Given the current volatility in precious metal prices, it is important to have a strong portfolio of high-quality, low-cost assets. At Silver Wheaton, over 85% of the production from our 19 operating mines is in the lowest quartile of their respective cost curves. These mines have the capacity to stay operational even when commodity prices are weak, and should continue to deliver silver and gold to us in all phases of the commodity price cycle. Furthermore, in light of the asset writedowns seen recently across the mining industry, we performed a detailed evaluation of all of our silver and gold streams and determined that no impairments were necessary. And lastly, with the current challenges being faced by higher-cost, fourth-quartile producers, supply side pressure should provide support for higher precious metal prices over the medium-to-long term."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV